WireViz is a tool for easily documenting cables, wiring harnesses and connector pinouts. It takes plain text, YAML-formatted files as input and produces beautiful graphical output (SVG, PNG, ...) thanks to GraphViz. It handles automatic BOM (Bill of Materials) creation and has a lot of extra features.
- WireViz input files are fully text based
- No special editor required
- Human readable
- Easy version control
- YAML syntax
- Understands and uses color abbreviations as per IEC 60757 (black=BK, red=RD, ...)
- Optionally outputs colors as abbreviation (e.g. 'YE'), full name (e.g. 'yellow') or hex value (e.g. '#ffff00'), with choice of UPPER or lower case
- Auto-generates standard wire color schemes and allows custom ones if needed
- Understands wire gauge in mm² or AWG
- Optionally auto-calculates and displays AWG equivalent when specifying mm²
- Allows more than one connector per side, as well as loopbacks
- Allows for easy-autorouting for 1-to-1 wiring
- Generates BOM (Bill of Materials)
Note: WireViz is not designed to represent the complete wiring of a system. Its main aim is to document the construction of individual wires and harnesses.
connectors: X1: type: D-Sub subtype: female pinout: [DCD, RX, TX, DTR, GND, DSR, RTS, CTS, RI] X2: type: Molex KK 254 subtype: female pinout: [GND, RX, TX] cables: W1: gauge: 0.25 mm2 length: 0.2 color_code: DIN wirecount: 3 shield: true connections: - - X1: [5,2,1] - W1: [1,2,3] - X2: [1,3,2] - - X1: 5 - W1: s
Bill of Materials (auto-generated)
Tutorial and example gallery
$ python3 wireviz.py ~/path/to/file/mywire.yml
This will output the following files
mywire.gv GraphViz output mywire.svg Wiring diagram as vector image mywire.png Wiring diagram as raster image mywire.bom.tsv BOM (bill of materials) as tab-separated text file mywire.html HTML page with wiring diagram and BOM embedded
This is very much a work in progress. Source code, API, syntax and functionality may change wildly at any time.
Developed and tested using Python 3.7; might not work with older Python versions.